Powerful Subject Lines that Make Readers OPEN your emails
Written on the 14 January 2013 by Altitude Communications
6 Secrets to increasing your email marketing open rate.
It has been said that Email Marketing is the best business communication tool to land on our desks since pen and paper. But, in order to take advantage of the brilliance of Email Marketing, your emails MUST be opened.
You see, as more and more people have gotten onto the email marketing bandwagon, the sheer volume of correspondence that arrives every 5 or 10 minutes into your prospect’s inbox can be daunting.
So what are you to do?
Well it’s actually pretty simple, and the answer is in your subject line.
You see, when it comes to getting your subscriber to click your email and ACTUALLY OPEN it, your Subject Line is numero uno.
After all, if your email isn’t opened - the rest of the content doesn’t really matter. And to do that, you need to create curiosity and a sense of urgency AND LOTS OF IT.
Try this for a moment, open up your own email inbox and take a moment to scan over the content, then ask yourself this question... What stands out? What is it that makes you open an email?
Some people would say, that the sender of the email is important, and yes, you would be correct. Because, let’s face it, you’re going to open a message from your boss, or your best friend, before you open anything else. This is a great reason why you need to cultivate relationships with your database - if your name and email is known then you’ve a much greater chance of your email marketing campaign being opened.
But then there’s the subject line. You see, if you’re an unfamiliar entity in your prospects inbox, and by that I mean not a “known real person” like a friend, family member or business acquaintance, then you’d better be wielding massive curiosity in your subject line.
Now we’re not talking the standard spammy, subject lines like: “Earn over $5K per month” or “Facebook Secrets Exposed” because, let’s face it, most of us are smarter than that, and know to delete those messages straight away.
6 Subject Line Secrets to Increase your Email Marketing Open Rates
1. Always personalize your emails with the subscriber's first name. Yes you may see some email marketers that don’t do this, but remember the sweetest sounding word in the world is your own name. By adding your prospect’s name to your subject line (and throughout the correspondence as well), you’ll find that your open rates and ultimately your click-through rates will increase. And thanks to the magic of email marketing database systems, like FastTrack Email Marketing, personalising your emails and subject lines is easier than you think!
Please note: If for some reason you don't have ALL of your subscribers first names then segment your email campaigns into the ones that do and ones that don't... you will enjoy a higher click-through rate and overall general results of your campaigns
2. Don't spill all the beans.... There is no need to reveal EVERYTHING in your email subject line. It’s important to build some suspense, curiosity and intrigue...
HERE’S A TIP: If you see good subject lines that get you to open the email, then keep a register - if it caught your eye and got you to open an email, then chances are, it will encourage others as well.
3. Try wherever possible to include a 'power word' in your email subject line. The purpose here is to get your valued contact database excited and inspire them to take action to open your email marketing campaigns. Here are some “power words” you might like to consider using: explosive, powerful, dynamic, amazing, incredible etc.
4. Avoid using words that trigger SPAM filters in your subject line. For example if you use the word FREE make sure that you break it up with a full stop or ~ symbol. i.e, F~REE or F.R.E.E . In short, try to avoid using words that trigger SPAM alerts like “discount”, “free”, “special offer”, “Eliminate Debt” and “Earn $”. For more words that may trigger your prospect’s spam filters, simply google Spam Words List. These lists are constantly updated with new words, so make sure you check back regularly prior to sending out your next email marketing campaign.
5. Ask a Question... Grab your readers’ attention and ask them a burning question that relates to the body of your email campaign. Here are two small examples...
First Name, have you seen this amazing new video on social media? or
First Name, want to grow your business on a limited budget?
6. Tune into WIIFM (Whats in It For ME) - using benefit driven subject lines that get straight to the point and offer a direct benefit to the reader right away or what’s in it for them. Remember that the limit for subject line in most Internet browsers is about 50 characters. Shorter more powerful benefit driven subject lines work best. A good rule of thumb is to use as few characters as possible as this will keep you in compliance with the many clients that have limits on the number of characters that will be displayed in subject lines.
So here’s the main point: If you take the time to get creative and develop compelling subject lines, your prospect will be more likely to open your emails right away!
But before we go any further, let’s talk quickly about open rates:
There are a number of factors that may affect your open rates including things like your contact database list size and your target market audience. Generally speaking smaller list sizes will experience higher open rates in particular small lists that are more targeted. The trick here is to try to break down your email marketing list into smaller more targeted groups... we call this list segmentation or niche list marketing.
We can say confidently that most email marketers are generally just plain lazy and pay no attention to their email marketing campaigns subject lines. Most people will get very average click-through rates and they aren't even aware of it. The keep sending out email campaigns thinking that their open and click through rates are normal when in fact they could be doing a MUCH better job to increase both.
The industry average on click-through rates is between 5% to 11%, with 11% being regarded as quite good. But from experience we can tell you that you should be able to boost these way up to between 11% to 25% click-through rate, simply by taking the time to craft your subject line and content.
In closing, we urge you to take a moment right now as you read this article to consider some compelling subject lines. After all a good one may very well increase your open and click-through rate to double what you are currently achieving.
Think about it... Would double the enquiries make a difference to your revenue and bottom line profits in 2011..? We know for one thing, it’s worth testing to find out. Do it now... remember don’t give up and keep experimenting with new subject lines and see which one gets the best results for you and your business.
If you would like to know more about FastTrack Email Marketing System and the strategies and methods for increasing open rates and click-through rate simply click here to experience a FREE Test-Drive NOW!
Copyright Altitude Communications 2013. All Rights Reserved. This article may not be used without the prior written consent from the author. See below for more details...
DO YOU WANT TO USE THIS ARTICLE IN YOUR E-ZINE OR WEB SITE? You can, as long as you include this text copy in its entirety:
Marketing Mentor Bill Doyle from Altitude Communications publish the popular 'My Marketing Mentor' eZine with over 7,200 subscribers including solo-preneurs, entrepreneurs and business owers.
If you're ready to boost your business, generate more leads and make more money, get your FREE subscription to this valuable publication, plus our popular Report "50+ fresh eMarketing ideas and tactics to help you to attract new clients like bees to a honey pot and grow a profitable business without spending a fortune." Go to http://www.Bees2HoneyPot.com